It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both. (from Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White)
I have used this quote before, but it is the one that most speaks of Shanna, a true friend and a good writer. Here are some random facts about Shanna:
1. She is living proof that two math brains can make a literature brain. Both of her parents are accountants.
2. Shanna’s first car was a big red diesel pick up truck. She drove it to high school every day. It was extremely intimidating, especially to boys I’m sure.
3. Shanna is annoyed when people use the word literally too liberally.
4. When she was a teenager, Shanna thought she wanted to be a horse trainer when she grew up. She has three horses of her own and she trained them all.
5. She has a master’s degree in English, which makes her an English Master, but she doesn’t like for people to call her English Master Shanna because it makes her sound like a slave holder.
6. Shanna loves Ireland. And Texas. I feel sure she will return to both at various junctures.
7. Shanna is a former Rodeo Queen. I’m really not making this up. She has the spurs and belt buckle to prove it. Truly, she was a Rodeo Queen.
8. Shanna is moving to Boston to begin a master’s degree in Irish Studies at Boston College.
9. Shanna’s college roommate was named Shasta. Later the two of them roomed with a girl named Shanara. Then they allowed another girl named Micah to join them even though her name did not begin with Sh. They are inclusive like that.
10. Her favorite ice cream is Bluebell Southern Blackberry Cobbler, which is truly an amazing ice cream. How do they keep the pieces of pie crust from becoming soggy???
11. When people have trouble pronouncing her name, Shanna graciously explains that it rhymes with “banana.”
12. Shanna has been a bridesmaid five times. (I told you she is a true friend!)But I’m pretty sure I got her first. She was my maid of honor.
13. Shanna has a Blue Heeler named Spur, who is moving to Boston with her.
14. Shanna wishes people would learn the difference between irony and coincidence. Rain on your wedding day is not ironic. It’s not even coincidental. It’s just inconvenient.
15. Shanna thinks dill pickles are detestable.
16. She tells me her secret ambition as a child was to be a country music singer. Me too, Shanna. Me too.
17. Shanna has a brother who is in culinary school. She brags about the things he cooks for her family. It’s really not very nice.
18. Shanna sponsors a child in Rwanda (I think?) through Compassion International.
19. Shanna is a true friend and a good writer.
20. You can read more about Shanna on her personal blog www.friendofmysoul.wordpress.com
When she’s not busy buying a house and moving into it, I’m sure Shanna will feel free to correct or elaborate on any of the random facts above. Good luck with closing day tomorrow, Shanna!